Devotions from the Heart

Sunday, February 10, 2013

What God Taught Me Through A Brownie Batter Filled Donut

This past Friday Justin met his family at Dunkin Donuts to share dessert for his Mom's birthday. I was SO excited to taste the new brownie-batter filled donut: I mean doesn't it look delicious?



Yes, it was delicious. However, the next morning I allowed the devil to have a "foothold" in my thoughts and allowed him to almost ruin my day.



When I was in high school, I developed a mild eating disorder. What started out as wanting to eat healthy and exercise became an obsession and overcame my thoughts. My parents helped me realize I had a problem and my Mom gave me the book Praying God's Word by Beth Moore. 

This book helped me break free from this stronghold through God's power. You see a stronghold is defined in 2 Corinthians 10:5  by Paul, "every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God." A stronghold is anything that exalts itself in our minds, stealing our focus and leads us to feel overpowered, controlled or mastered. It can take many forms: addictions, unforgiveness, despair over a loss, pride....As the book states, "It is something that consumes so much of our emotional and mental energy that abundant life is strangled-our callings remain largely unfilled and our believing lives are virtually ineffective. Needless to say, these are the enemy's precise goals."

What I faced in high school and still face today at times is a food-related stronghold. I woke up yesterday morning with this huge guilt on my heart for eating this donut. I tried to ignore it and push it aside but the thought kept creeping into my mind-"when are you going to go run because you ate that donut last night?" I admit, this scares me when I think like this but it is not from me.  I believe without a doubt this is from Satan who "prowls around like a lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8). I do enjoy running as a source of enjoyment and freedom. Running as a punishment is bondage.

By biggest defense when this happens is to quote 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 over and over in my heart:

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God-for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself againist the knowledge of God, BRINGING EVERY THOUGHT INTO CAPTIVITY TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST.

I ask God to help me change my thoughts, acknowledging my struggle, bowing down to His Lordship daily, perhaps even a dozen times daily in order to be free.

My question for you today is: What is your stronghold? What is the devil using using to try to take you away from your first love, Christ?

Is it idolatry, unbelief, pride, deception, insecurity of feeling unloved, feelings of rejection, addiction, food-related strongholds, ongoing feelings of guilt, despair resulting from loss, unforgiveness, depression,or a sexual stronghold? Each of these have their own chapter in the Praying God's Word book with specific Scriptures to pray to overcome and be victorious in Christ. 

If you have any questions or you know someone who is struggling with a food-related stronghold, I would be  so very happy to share more of my story and how God has helped me break free. You may email me at rbfriel@gmail.com.

I hope you have a great week, living free and abundantly.

Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Galations 5:1,13 (NLT) "So Christ has truly set us free.For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead,  use your freedom to serve one another in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment