Devotions from the Heart

Monday, December 30, 2013

Redeeming the Time

Wow! In the whirlwind of beginning a new school year, I have allowed half the year to go by without spending time sharing on my blog. It is exciting to once again share my heart.


This Christmas and New Year season, God has laid a message on my heart I want to share with you and believe it or not, it all begins with a Karen Kingsbury book. 


You see, when I was in high school and college I read every single one of her books. Then I turned to reading non-fiction and memoirs because I felt I was wasting my time reading about imaginary people's lives. At the library a couple of weeks ago, I saw Kingsbury's new book Coming Home.  With some more free time to do some reading over Christmas break, I picked it up. 


This book led tears to run down my face more than once in the quietness of our bedroom as I read well past midnight.


In a horrible accident, a mother, father, and 3 daughters are killed on their way home (traveling from Texas to Indiana) for a special birthday party. The book shows the battle in the hearts of brothers and sisters. One sister is devastated because she feels there were too many things left unsaid between her and her sister. Hurt words and actions were left alone in their fragile relationship. She wishes for one more chance to tell her sister she loved her and believed in her.
Of course, the family begins to question God but then quickly realizes the only way to make sense of this tragedy is to cling to God's promise of faithfulness and everlasting life. 


Then this morning I read in Ephesians 5: 15-17 which says, "So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make of most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days, redeeming the time."
        The study notes in my bible say, "As a believer, your purpose is to fulfill               God's purposes in this Earth, lining up every opportunity for useful worship         or service."


How does this story and verse go together in a life changing way for me? 


I realized I must live each day to fullest because tomorrow may simply never come for me, my loved ones, the ones God has laid on my heart to share His love.
I want to look for ways each day to show Justin, my husband, I love and admire him.
I want my parents to know I love them and am so appreciative of the way they support, encourage, provide, and love me.
I want by brothers to know I believe in them and am sorry for the way I get too focused on my own life instead of investing in theirs the way I should.
I want to spend more time with my grandparents and listen to stories of their life growing up.
I want to talk to and serve my co-workers at school by shining for Christ through a joyful attitude and humble heart. 


Above all, I want to wake each morning singing in my heart the tune my mother taught me when I was a little girl. "This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made, that the Lord had made, we will rejoice, we will rejoice, and be glad in it." I want to live each moment in Him and for Him even during the normalcy of life such as doing dishes, folding laundry, checking math papers, or waiting in traffic. I want to see each moment if a gift from God, an "opportunity for worship or service".


As you begin 2014, embrace each day, redeeming the time. Tell your loved ones you love them and praise God for each moment, even the not so happy ones. He is our Redeemer, may we live our moments in a way that brings Him praise and glory.



1 comment: