Devotions from the Heart

Sunday, January 27, 2013

My 25th Birthday Weekend: Running a 5K, Flooding the House, and Eating Pizza

This weekend has been one I will always remember. Not only have I turned 25, I have won my first 5K (the women's division anyway) and almost, almost flooded our house. Let's start from the beginning.

Yesterday the community of Yadkinville hosted a 5K in honor of Austin Macemore. He is battling cancer at a very young age and the run provided money and heart encouragement for his family. I wanted to run to support this precious family along with about 600 other walker/runners. You see, I LOVE to run-there is nothing more freeing than hearing your feet hit the pavement, the wind blow back your hair, the sun on your face. However, the sun was not on our faces yesterday. The cold, icy wind was. I ran as fast as I could, trying to praise God while I was running, yet being highly distracted by my frozen toes, cold fingers, and icy lungs. I ran as fast as I possibly could and was highly suprised when I crossed the finish line and heard, "Our first girl!" I was proud of all who came to support Austin and his family and the many volunteers who have spent countless hours preparing and planning. I know God used this event to bless their hearts and lives in many ways. 

A few hours later, I started a load of laundry, filled to the brim I need to add, and left to take our sassy, sweet dog Sadie on a walk. I was about a quarter of a mile from our house when Justin, my husband called me. He said, "You need to run! It's leaked again and this time it is worse....HURRY!" Needless to say, Sadie and I start running back home, me with Justin's baggy sweatpants and my huge brown boots, clopping up the road. I was hoping with all my heart he was playing a trick on me-but when I walked in from the garage, Justin was playing no trick. Water was everywhere. Justin had grabbed every towel from our linen closet and they were now floating in water. When I walked on the hallway carpet, I was reminded of walking in a marsh, where you hear the "splish-splash" of every step. We did what anyone would do: "Looked at each other and said, "Now what?" "Why don't we try to vacuum it up?" I asked. "No, that will hurt our vacuum cleaner" replied Justin. Justin called his Dad and he helped us realize we needed to go to nearby Harris Teeter and rent a Rug Doctor to get up all this water. Well, I was close.....
I began to grab our extra pair of bed sheets to soak up more water while Justin went to the store. While he was gone, I burst into tears! I did not know what to do. Our laundry "room", which is really a closet is in the middle of our house. The water had gone under the wall into our bedroom, our living room, and the linen closet. I was out of towels and sheets and so what did I do? I called my Daddy who immediately got into his car with my older brother who just happened to be at my parents' house waiting for Justin and I to come over for my birthday dinner. They helped us soak up water and move the washer and dryer out of the closet for repairs. We still went for the birthday dinner, it was only delayed and the fellowship with my family was great.

What did I learn from my birthday weekend? 
1-You can do anything when you do it with your whole heart unto the Lord. When I was running, I was telling God I was running for his glory and praying for Austin. I ran with all my heart and the crossing the finish line was a feeling of victory that is hard to describe.

2- DO NOT OVERLOAD THE LAUNDRY! Okay, I will admit, it was my fault the laundry flooded. I had put on a super load but in reality it was a super, super, super load and the water just had no where else to go. 

3- I truly have the sweetest and most patient husband ever. Justin laughed when we realized the reason the laundry flooded again (this has happend before, just on a much smaller scale). He worked a few hours the next day to try to fix the machine, and served me all weekend for my birthday. He cleaned the entire house for me, yes, even the bathrooms, took me out for a yummy I-Hop breakfast, and spent time with me walking outside and playing silly, fun games. 

A few verses to leave you with:
Psalm 90:14 "Satisfy  us in the morning with your unfailing love that I may sing for joy and be glad all my days."

Psalm 21:6 "You have granted eternal blessings and made him glad in the joy of your presence."

As you begin your week, rest in God's unfailing love, singing for joy, thanking him for each moment, even the flooded ones. 



No comments:

Post a Comment